Mint Julep Month® Takes Center Stage in Bourbon City
Annual month-long celebration of the timeless Bourbon racing cocktail
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (April 1, 2021) –As Louisville starts the countdown to the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby, what better way to lead the charge than with a mint julep in hand to celebrate the classic Bourbon cocktail of the Derby season. This fresh drink is celebrated during Mint Julep Month® for 30 straight days of special events and promotions throughout the city.
Louisville Tourism debuted Mint Julep Month® in 2013 as a way to draw attention to the city in the spring and to create excitement around the Kentucky Derby season. For the ninth straight year, Mint Julep Month® is celebrated beginning on April 1.
Here are a handful of ways the city is toasting the South’s favorite springtime sipper as we lead up to the first Saturday in May and the “most exciting two minutes in sports.”
· Alice in Derbyland, a new show following Alice as she arrives in DerbyLand just in time for the most wonderful time of the year in Kentucky! Find out how she enlists the help of the Mad Milliner and Churchill Rabbit in her quest to face off against the evil Delta Queen and the Seersucker Cat. Organized in collaboration with Paristown and Kentuckiana Pride, Alice in DerbyLand features two showings at Paristown’s outdoor Garden Theater on April 22 at 8am and April 25 at 3pm.
· Derby Week Horse Country Tours is offering guests the chance to learn about the history of bourbon and the process in which “America’s Native Spirit” is made. During Derby Week, visitors will stop at two Kentucky bourbon distilleries for tours and tastings to learn the processes, traditions and styles behind some of today's top-selling whiskeys. Also included is lunch at a local, Southern-inspired restaurant. Tours offered the last week of April for morning and afternoon adventures.
· Businesses across the city, including many of the stops on Louisville’s Urban Bourbon Trail®, will offer Mint Julep drink and culinary specials. Local retail shops will also feature Mint Julep-themed products, including keepsake, reusable straws to help keep the planet green al year long. New this year is the UBT digital passport, downloadable to a mobile device.
· Indulge all of your senses and venture to Bardstown Bourbon Company for their Distilled Dinner Series featuring their Prisoner Wine Collaboration Bourbon. Tickets includes a four-course dinner, four whiskey pairings from Bardstown Bourbon Co.and Prisoner Wine Co., distillery tour, and guided transportation.
· Take a selfie at the Mint Julep mural, located on the side of the Quills Coffee Firehouse building (802 E. Main St.) and at the larger-than-life metallic Mint Julep cup in nearby NuLu at Taj (807 E Market), which showcases a rick house and a trio of copper stills.
· Every day in April is minty at The Louisville Visitor Center where most Mint Julep-themed merchandise is 25% off (some exclusions apply). Don’t miss a selfie chance by taking a photo in front of the green wall or Mint Julep cup out front and post it to social to earn some fun swag.
More information, including a comprehensive list of local Mint Julep Month® specials and events, can be found at www.GoToLouisville.com/MJM.