Louisville's Visitor Demographics
Visitors are coming for day trips, overnight leisure travel, business and conventions with 86.1% of travelers in Louisville for leisure or personal reasons. Business travel including conventions and tradeshows made up 13.9%. Of the Louisville visitor market that is most likely Leisure Travel, this can further be segmented to individual leisure travelers, day-trippers and the motor coach or student group market. Of those segments, travelers are attracted to the city for a variety of reasons with 38% for “vacation or weekend getaway”. “Attending a special event” was the second primary motivator at 17.4%. The top activities listed by visitors are Museums (51.9%), Dining (51.7%), Bourbon Tasting (43.9%), Distillery Tour (39.1%).
Some key findings we know about the Louisville visitor:
- Average age of visitors to Louisville is 42.9 years (This was 43.4 in 2015).
- Average household income is $90,915. (The Bourbon traveler has a combined household income of $100,304).
- Female - 57.4%, Male – 39.3% (Gender is split for US norm is 51% Female and 49% Male).
- 66.8% of overnight travelers to Louisville came with a partner or spouse and 26.2% traveled with children (38% in 2015).
- The average length of stay for an overnight visitor is 2.6 days.
- On average, visitors spent $292.69 per day per travel party
- Among domestic traveling parties, Kentucky led in state traffic with 20.1 (This is down from 23% in 2015). Other top state drivers were Indiana at 19.8 % (14% in 2015) and Ohio at 7.5 (12% in 2015).
- 2.9 % of all traveling parties are from other countries, leading with Canada, the United Kingdom, China, Italy, Germany, Australia, and Japan.
Source: Destination Analysts 2019