More than 16.4 million people visit Louisville each making a total of 24.7 visits (8.3 million of those on return trips).
Louisville's Visitor Demographics
Visitors are coming for day trips, overnight leisure travel, business and conventions with 81% of travelers in Louisville for leisure reasons. Of the 81% of the Louisville visitor market that is most likely Leisure Travel, this can further be segmented to individual leisure travelers, day-trippers and the motor coach or student group market. Of those segments, travelers are attracted to the city for a variety of reasons with 41% “visiting friends and family” as the primary driver. “Festivals and events” are the next primary motivator. Louisville is seeing developing markets in culinary travel, the LGBTQ visitor and bourbon tourism.
Some key findings we know about the Louisville visitor:
- Average age of visitors to Louisville is 43.4 years. (Visitors under 35 = 34% of all visitors. Those between 35 and 45 years of age = 44% of all visitors. 55 years and older = 22%.)
- More than 16% of all respondents reported their household income to be $100,000 and over.
- Gender is split on par with the US norm of 51% Female and 49% Male.
- More than half of all respondents had bachelor’s degrees or above.
- 58% of overnight travelers to Louisville came with a partner or spouse, 38% traveled with children and 22% traveled solo.
- The average length of stay for an overnight visitor is 2.4 nights.
- Among domestic traveling parties, 61% come from the Midwest states, with 23% from within Kentucky, followed by Indiana (14%) and Ohio (12%).
- 3.2% of all traveling parties are from other countries, leading with Canada, the United Kingdom, China, Italy, Germany, Australia, and Japan.
Sources: Longwoods Travel USA Study 2018, Destination Analysts 2016, Tourism Economics 2014