Boutique Hotel Opens in Louisville’s Hip East Market District
New build offers four distinct culinary concepts along with 122 hotel rooms
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 16, 2023) — Louisville’s newest boutique property is already making headlines in the heart of the city’s East Market District. Prior to Hotel Genevieve’s opening, several national and international accolades were bestowed on the hotel, which is inspired by the patron saint of Paris in celebration of Louisville’s French origins.
Landing on National Geographic UK’s ‘Eight of the Best New Hotels For a US City Break in 2023,’ as well as one of the ‘Best Hotels Opening This Year’ by Fifty Grande and Forbes ‘77 New Springtime Hotel Openings Worth Visiting This Year’ have helped showcase the hotel right out of the starting gate during the Kentucky Derby week opening.
The property features 122 rooms on six floors, a lobby art gallery that pays homage to Louisville, and retail shop, alongside the four culinary spaces. Four distinct culinary options are found throughout the hotel, conceived by Culinary Director Ashleigh Shanti, who brings a distinct voice rooted in African American foodways to the city. Awarded 2019 Eater Young Gun and named a 2020 finalist for the James Beard Rising Star Chef of the Year, Shanti weaves her passion for food history and storytelling to create an inviting culinary perspective. Each concept features unique, immersive takes on Southern classics with global flair.
- Rosettes, the ground-floor all-day restaurant named for the ribbons won in horse races, offers a lively food experience driven by simple, local ingredients and inspired by al fresco Parisian cafés and Shanti’s Southern/Appalachian background.
- Hotel Genevieve Bar offers rooftop cocktails and light-fare inspired by French street food with Mediterranean influences set against sweeping views of the city and the Ohio River. With French nods to the city’s namesake, King Louis XVI, the light-filled space with indoor and outdoor seating is loaded with toast-worthy accents, like a grand chandelier from Olde Good Things, and features an elevated and fun take on traditional, shareable bar food.
- Lucky Penny is an intimate speakeasy open for cocktails and bar snacks late into the night, which is hidden inside the onsite quirky sundries market.
- Mini Marché, the soon-to-open neighborhood market with a bright yellow design offering local Kentucky provisions along with coffee and grab-and-go selections for breakfast and lunch including breakfast sandwiches, Chef Ashleigh’s famous banana bread, and fresh produce.
Hotel Genevieve plans to collaborate with local partners to offer community-driven such as an art walk created in collaboration with a neighbor of the hotel, the acclaimed Rabbit Hole Distillery, highlighting local and US-based artists through rotating mural installations. This urban core hotel is a first for the Austin-based hospitality group Bunkhouse.
Several other new hotels are under construction or in the planning phase for Louisville including:
- Hotel Myriad (65 rooms, opening Summer 2023)
- Derby City Gaming Hotel (123 rooms, opening Fall 2023)
- Tempo by Hilton (130 rooms, opening late 2023)
- Canopy Derby City Hotel (168 rooms, opening Spring 2024)
While planning a trip to Louisville, guests can download a copy of Louisville Tourism’s annual Visitor Guide to see the city's top attractions and bourbon distilleries. Visitors also can get additional city attraction, lodging and dining assistance at gotolouisville.com.