Once Upon an Orchestrarecurring event
The Louisville Orchestra presents free concerts for families presented in partnership with the Louisville Free Public Library. Families are invited to join LO small ensembles for interactive storytelling through music performances. These concerts will entertain and delight young children with goals of increasing readiness for school and laying a foundation for a greater interest in music and creativity.
No reservations are necessary. Just come to your local Louisville Free Public Library branch and enjoy!
Dates and times - Library - Address
Nov. 13, 2 PM - Jeffersontown, 10635 Watterson Trail, 40299
Nov. 14, 2 PM - Main, 301 York Street, 40203
Nov. 16, 6 PM - St. Matthews-Eline, 3940 Grandview Ave., 40207
Nov. 18, 7 PM - Iroquois, 601 W. Woodlawn Ave., 40215
Nov. 20, 2 PM - Newburg, 4800 Exeter Ave., 40218
Dec. 8, 6 PM - Northeast Regional, 15 Bellevoir Circle, 40223
Dec. 20, 2 PM - Crescent Hill, 2762 Frankfort Ave., 40206
Dec. 21, 2 PM - Southwest Regional, 9725 Dixie Highway, 40272
Jan. 13, 10:15 AM - Shively, 3920 Dixie Highway, 40216
Feb. 1, 4 PM - Western, 604 South Tenth Street, 40203
Feb. 17, 6:30 PM - Fairdale, 10620 W. Manslick Road, 40118
Feb. 22, 2 PM - Middletown, 12556 Shelbyville Road, 40243
Feb. 22, 7 PM - Shawnee, 3912 West Broadway, 40211
April 4, 2 PM - Highlands-Shelby Park, 1250 Bardstown Road #4, 40204
April 6, 2 PM - Bon Air, 2816 Del Rio Place, 40220
April 7, 2 PM - South Central Regional, 7300 Jefferson Boulevard, 40219
April 7, 6 PM - Portland, 3305 Northwestern Parkway, 40212
Music Programs Selected by the librarians at each branch:
- Where the Wild Things Are: In Music and Color: Join along with a musical telling of the famous children’s story of Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. Audience members will be asked to draw along with the story, letting the music inspire their own setting of the story.
- The Storytelling Adventure: Music captures many feelings and moods. Using classical themes and variations the audience will create a story with Louisville Orchestra musicians inspired by how the music makes you feel. Characters come to life when pairing music with collaborative, interactive storytelling.
- Musical Friends from Around the World: Sharing music and stories from different cultures musicians share personal stories related to where they are from – Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Holland!
- Peter and the Wolf: Meet instruments from the woodwind family and hear the classic story of Peter and the Wolf. The audience will help play the characters from the story of this condensed version of the tale.
- Michael Finney and the Magic Songbook: Join a string quartet in an original story adventure with fairies and elves as they try to outsmart an evil dragon and save the day with a magic songbook. The audience will learn about melody and rhythm to help tell the magical story.
- Trip to the Musical Zoo: A string quintet takes you on a musical journey through a zoo with the famous Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saens. The audience will not only enjoy the journey but have fun acting like the animals too!
Upcoming Dates For This Event:
- Wednesday, December 8
- Monday, December 20
- Tuesday, December 21
- Thursday, January 13
- Tuesday, February 1
- Thursday, February 17
- Tuesday, February 22
- Monday, April 4
- Wednesday, April 6
- Thursday, April 7