In this episode Stacey and Jessica make a Kentucky Stack Cake and a Fall Fashioned
Kentucky Stack Cake
- 4 cups AP flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 t salt
- ¾ c shortening
- 1 c sugar
- 1 cup sorghum
- 3 eggs
- 1 c buttermilk
- 4 cups apple butter (with a few shots of bourbon)
- 2 T powdered sugar
Sift together dry ingredients.
Cream shortening and sugar.
Mix in sorghum.
Alternately add eggs and buttermilk.
Add flour gradually and mix.
Spread evenly among six greased and floured cake pans.
Bake 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until golden.
Cool layers. Add apple butter between layers, leaving top naked. Dust with powdered sugar.
- 1 peeled fresh apple slice
- 3 dashes black walnut bitters
- ½ ounce brown sugar simple syrup
- 2 ounces Apple cinnamon infused Bourbon – (fill mason jar ¾ full with dried apples, add two cinnamon sticks, fill with bourbon and let sit 4-14 days)
Muddle the apple, bitters and simple syrup in the bottom of a rocks glass. Add the bourbon and a large ice cube. Stir to chill and garnish with a cinnamon stick and apple slice.